Saturday, September 20, 2008

Starting slow...

So yesterday was physicals. The silly event where all the players get poked and prodded to determine if they are in shape for the coming season.

Here's a novel idea: Put your team through hockey suicides the first day for an hour. That'll show you real quick who pulled a Keith Tkachuk or Kyle Wellwood during the summer.

The Star has a nice photo of Jamal Mayers getting his teeth checked. I suppose if Mike Tyson started to play hockey, you'd like to ensure that one of his abilities is in top notch form. Other than that, what's the purpose?

Looking ahead there is an exhibition game in a couple of days against our friends down the QEW in Buffalo. I still hate them for stopping our run to the finals in 99.

I like and hate exhibition games. The start of exhibition games piques my hockey interest again. The monotony of August hockey news begins to take its toll (Has Sundin signed anywhere? It's hard to find any articles on it) . Finally, after all those weeks of anticipation, I get to see my team take to the ice.

All those changes that have been scrutinized, analyzed and of course, eventually predicting failure, becomes reality. The actual on ice product is back.

Exhibition games also spell the beginning of my downfall. My excitement becomes so intense that I begin to slip and start to look forward to the season. My predications of success and all the rational reasoning float the surface. My circle of friends begin to laugh and tell me I'm nuts. Ultimately by February 1st, I end up in fetal position sucking my thumb asking for it to end.

This season will be different! Change is good! Change is better! This collection of 3rd and 4th liners is going to make moves!

There I go again.

Reeling it back in; Monday night can't come soon enough. I'll be there on the couch eyes glued to Leafs TV looking at what's to come for this season and the next few as those AHL hopefuls show their stuff.

At the very least, my optimism will be satiated when I see Luke Schenn perform in the Blue and White for the first time.

No comments: