Saturday, October 18, 2008

Heading to the 'burgh

I'm leaving shortly for Pittsburgh to watch our mighty Maple Leafs battle out another shutout loss!

Almost two years ago, my buddies and I made this same pilgrimage to watch the buds get spanked 7-2, I think. It was a great time. From the moment the anthems started, Leaf fans we're louder in Mellon Arena than the Pens fans were. Our anthem was sung so loud in the arena, whereas the Star Spangled Banner sounded like the ACC. You know, no emotion and/or excitement.

Our section was almost entirely Leaf fans, as we headed down with a three coach bus trip. While our section was loud and boisterous, it was all in good humor.

I can't say the same for other areas of the arena where I counted no less than 6 fights where people were thrown out, including one particularly emotional bout where 3 full rows of people got in on it.

I hope this trip leads to much fun, a Leaf win and zero fights between fans.

Hockey is meant to be a fun sport to enjoy and I'll never understand the need to throw dukes with someone that cheers for the opposition.

This trip is one we planned on our own as the bus trip was cancelled. I'll be in the standing room only section with 6 other Leaf fans cheering our asses off at every hit, goal and fight(on the ice) that takes place.

Enjoy the game!

1 comment:

Navin Vaswani (@eyebleaf) said...

Pittsburgh is a great place to watch a game. I went a couple of years ago. The arena's a dump, but it's not that long a drive, and the tickets are a good deal. Enjoy.