Monday, October 20, 2008

Pittsburgh is fun...

Playing Pittsburgh is not.

The Pens we're too fast and too talented for the lackluster Leafs.

Some highlights of the weekend:

-While crossing the border, the US Customs guard needled us for our love of the Leafs. I was wearing my Leafs jersey. I should have known better. I quote: "How are the Leafs doing so far? One win isn't it? Buffalo hasn't lost yet (note: this was before their SO loss on Saturday). Did you know that? Only let in 5 goals too" It's nice to have a border guard that doesn't act like he just came from an invasive medical exam.

- It was really nice of the Buffalo resident who found my wallet to decide not to turn it into the gas station that I lost it at. There was about a 40 foot stretch of space between the van we were driving and the front counter where I managed to lose it. Absolutely no other spot I could have lost it but either the kiosk, the area by the gas pumps and the short distance in between. I hope that person enjoys my $240 by spending it wisely on something like extra strong filterless menthol cigarettes or an anesthesia-free surgical castration.

- The Hilton Double Tree in downtown Pittsburgh is perfect for Maple Leaf pilgrims. Stumbling distance from the arena and spectacular service!

- A young Pittsburgh fan sitting in front of our standing room only seats provided endless comedy. Each time the Pens got a penalty this little squirt turned to us and yelled 'That was a dive!' and repeated it over and over. It was great because the kid was American, about 6 years old and totally into hockey. Between the 2nd and 3rd period, his dad asked if he could have a picture taken with us. So 2 of us crouched down, squirt came running over, Crosby jersey and all, stood in front of my buddy and I who were decked in Leaf garb and took a thumbs up picture with a huge grin on his face. It was great!

- At the start of the game, the 6 of us belted out in our best half drunked tone deaf baritone each and every word of both anthems. This prompted the people in the row in front of us to turn around and say to us 'Awesome guys! Now, lets hear you do it again after the 2nd period. We want to know if more beer can make you guys sound even worse!'

- A lady walked by us wearing a 'Got Malkin?' shirt. It was amazing. We laughed and took a picture with her. She told us we we're awesome and true Leaf fans. We cheered her and she high-fived us and kept walking with her giggling children close in tow.

- I only heard one taunt of '1967!'. To which I replied in my drunken state, 'Like I haven't heard that one before! Next time beak something off original!' He smiled and got in his car. At least, that's how I remember it happening.

- Someone needs to tell the Pittsburgh jersey makers that there are other players that are employed by the Penguins besides Crosby. At one snack bar line up, I saw 5 people with jersey's on in a row, all Crosby. Just a thought... It be nice to see other jerseys. I love going to the ACC and seeing Peter Zezel, Ken Baumgartner and Mike Foligno jersey's. I wear my Al Secord jersey loud and proud! (Yes, I actually own an Al Secord jersey, and no I don't wear it outside my own house)

I love making the trip down to Pittsburgh to watch games. We always have a great time and represent Leaf nation with dignity and respect. Well, as much as can be allowed when you have been drinking since you crossed the border at 11am.

The game? Oh. I can't remember. I think they lost.

Was it a good game?

2 comments:

Down Goes Brown said...

I only heard one taunt of '1967!'. To which I replied in my drunken state, 'Like I haven't heard that one before! Next time break something off original!'

Were you in the pressbox, or did Cox come down to the stands?

Brad said...

You quoted me wrong.. it was beak off :P

Cox was sitting in front of me. It made the game easier to see since the 2nd level over hang was partially blocking the ice, i just looked at the reflection in his head.

Worked perfect!